My Low-Tech Secret to Getting Up Early Every Day

by Andrew Forrest

aprilcalendar

I mark this calendar every morning after working out. April was a good month.

I skipped my 6:00 AM workout this morning for only the 3rd time since December 21, 2013.? I’ve been ruthless these past 6 months about getting up early and getting a workout in.

Consistently getting up early will change your life. But, it’s difficult. Here’s?my secret:

I take a black marker and mark an “X” through that day’s square on my calendar every morning when I return from my workout. It is surprisingly satisfying to make that mark each day, and to look back and see the series of “X’s” earlier that month makes me feel as if I’m really accomplishing something.

I get up every morning between 5:00 and 5:30 AM; some (most?) mornings, I’d much rather roll over and go back to sleep.? But, knowing that the day’s calendar will lack a fat “X” through it if I don’t get up and go has given me the motivation to overcome the desire to go back to sleep.

This technique will work for other things, too.

Want‘to give up Coke?

Pray every day?

Stop watching?The Bachelor?

Try the calendar technique and let me know how it goes.

?I have a bad shoulder and needed a rest day today. Still, part of me wishes May 22 had a big “X” through it….

? I get up early on Sundays, too, but I don’t workout on Sundays, and so I don’t mark through the day. Plus, I like making Sundays different, set apart.

You May Also Like

16 comments

Nick May 22, 2014 - 8:30 pm

hahahaha… You got your Bachelor dig in. Well done!

Andrew Forrest May 22, 2014 - 8:44 pm

I couldn’t resist. If I can but save one poor soul….

sue May 22, 2014 - 8:51 pm

I like you without facial hair!!
That’s a good idea – the Xs!!

Andrew Forrest May 23, 2014 - 9:12 am

I’m a whole new me.

Sarah May 22, 2014 - 9:30 pm

Don’t break the chain!!! Reminds me of some other Jerry-inspired wisdom you shared way back in Juarez… “Your pretzels are making me thirsty!”

Andrew Forrest May 23, 2014 - 9:13 am

I love that line. Yeah, there is something about keeping the streak going that really helps you get up when you would rather go back to sleep.

SCC May 22, 2014 - 11:38 pm

Ashley Young suggested I do this for working out and it worked for me too! I only made it two months, but I think it’s time to bring it back.

Andrew Forrest May 23, 2014 - 9:14 am

2 months ain’t too shabby. Part of my motivation these days is that I really don’t want to go back to the days when I didn’t get up as early. And so I’m always afraid that I’ll quickly give it up–I know how easy it is to lose momentum.

Brad Wardlow May 23, 2014 - 4:42 am

I am reading your text at this early hour for the obvious reason…I too get up early every morning. I agree that there is something really satisfying about marking something as done or checking it off a list. The calendar thing can be a further motivator as you realize there are only so many days in your life calendar…

Andrew Forrest May 23, 2014 - 9:15 am

Exactly. When you don’t get up and workout or do something else valuable, you never look back and say, “That was time well spent.” All it was is that you stayed up too late watching tv, and that doesn’t add any value to your life.

Paul Ditto May 23, 2014 - 8:01 am

I have tried several times to start an early morning workout routine. Never fails, I fail. I have also tried several times to start a consistent bible reading program. Never fails, I fail. So, I combined the two. I subscribed to the daily audio bible program on my cell phone (one time $1 charge) and now I listen to the DAB while I do my early morning workout. Hardly missed a day since January 1. I found combining two things I really wanted to do resulted in twice the desire, twice the benefit, twice the determination and twice the chance of success. Kind of pitiful that it took twice the determination to get something done that I needed and wanted, but if that is what it takes, at least I figured it out.

Andrew Forrest May 23, 2014 - 9:17 am

Paul, I love this strategy. Basically, the human always tends towards indolence; it takes a greater desire to overcome the desire to be lazy. So, you’ve built in a desire greater than your desire to sleep in. I think that’s wise.

My Own Blood Never Looked So Good July 14, 2014 - 9:23 am

[…] As I’ve mentioned previously on this blog, I’ve been ruthless this year about getting up and working out early in the morning every day. ?Often, my morning workout called for pull-ups, and whenever that was the case, I’d use a resistance band to make them easier. ?But this morning, I decided to try the workout (which called for pull-ups) without a band. ?Over the course of today’s workout, I ended up doing 60 pull-ups (in sets of 10, broken up by?other exercises), but the best part was that I was able to do the first set of 10 unbroken! ?(I ended up tearing my hands, but it was worth it.) ?So, I think my goal for the year is definitely possible. […]

What Trade-Off Do You Need to Make This Month? | Andrew Forrest October 1, 2014 - 10:16 am

[…] I’ve blogged about before, I use a paper calendar and a Sharpie marker to keep myself getting up early every morning and […]

One Word That Will Change Your Life - Andrew Forrest October 10, 2014 - 1:59 pm