My One Word for 2016

by Andrew Forrest

Resolutions don’t work. Rather than focusing on a list of specific ways we want to live differently each year, I’ve written the last two years about a better alternative: focusing and living into a one word theme for the new year.

My One Word for 2016

If it ain’t broke….  For 2016 I’m keeping the same word I’ve had the previous two years.

My one word for 2016 is early.

I want to:

• wake up early
  • pray early
  • workout early
  • finish tasks early
  • get to appointments early
  • finish my sermon early
  • get to bed early

What about you?  What’s your one word for 2016?  Why?

P.S.  Have You Subscribed?

Yes, Dear Reader, I know I’ve been absent from the Internets for the past 2 months, but it’s a new year, and I’m going to be posting to my site 3 times a week in 2016.  Click here to subscribe and get my posts delivered straight to your inbox.

You May Also Like

16 comments

Paul January 1, 2016 - 3:33 pm

My one word last year was “simplify”. I am not sure I did very well with that. I think I simplified some things and then filled up the vacuum created by that by complicating other things. So, under this plan, can I have more than one word? I want to try a different version of simplify and see if that works better. So that word is “discard”, as in get rid of stuff I don’t need (all the clutter in my closet, car, home, office, etc.). But the reason I want to use more than one word, is I really like your word “early”. So I am going to have two words. Discard and Early. I have to be careful how I apply discard. Don’t want to discard friends (but I might discard some friends on Facebook and I might discard all but one social media venue). I would love to hear the “one word” of other Mungarians, as I might like theirs better than mine. I could adopt some of those as well (but then apply my one word “discard” to get rig of some of them)

Andrew Forrest January 1, 2016 - 3:42 pm

There is something powerful about discarding the things that fill up our lives but that don’t really matter. Good for you.

I had a dentist appointment on Monday and deliberately got to the appointment early just to sit and be still. My wife is an early person; I’m the kind of person for whom early takes effort. But, it sure is worth it.

John Sexton January 1, 2016 - 5:14 pm

One word response to that is: yes!!

Andrew Forrest January 1, 2016 - 6:13 pm

That’s also not a bad theme for the entire year.

Debbie Bozarth January 2, 2016 - 8:55 pm

Read is mine:
Read The Bible
Read personal development books
Read training materials
Read about fitness
Read about nutrition

You’ve been a great role model Andrew

Andrew Forrest January 3, 2016 - 9:09 am

I love this. One of my goals for the year (as it’s been the lat 2 years) is to read 50 books. I reached 40 this year….

Marc January 3, 2016 - 5:17 pm

Great idea! My word for 2016 is value.

I will live my values – It is too easy to be sold someone else’s life unless I clearly identify what matters most.

I will value others – I know that I have the power to encourage and lift up those around me if I choose to pay attention

I will value challenges – I will redefine failure and seek to recognize and appreciate the lessons to be learned during life’s difficult times

I will value wisdom – There is an infinite amount of knowledge out there. Unless I am truly asking the right questions, I am limiting the impact that I could have.

I value each day – Life is too short to not smile, do things we enjoy, and take the opportunity to let others know they matter.

Happy New Year!

Andrew Forrest January 3, 2016 - 6:54 pm

I like the part about valuing challenges. Good stuff.

Michelle Wardlow January 4, 2016 - 8:59 am

My one word is Faith: anxiety, worry and fear have held their places for too long. I have a serious lack of faith or a long lived crisis of faith. Faith is rarely my first reaction. My word is Faith.

Andrew Forrest January 4, 2016 - 9:12 am

Good for you: fear is always a lie.

Chelsie January 4, 2016 - 4:56 pm

I try to always wait on my word to find me, rather than choosing the word based on how I feel/want to feel. As I drove back from visiting my parents last week, I spotted an auto repair shop named Chelsie’s – how strange, right? Hardly ever see auto shops named after girls much less spelled like my name. So as I drove on, I settled on “repair.” What that means God has yet to reveal, but I like the sound of it and I’m eager to find out how it works its way into 2016!

Andrew Forrest January 4, 2016 - 7:26 pm

Maybe some relationships that need repairing?

Angie February 1, 2016 - 4:40 pm

My word is BALANCE… and boy is it a chore sometimes: http://growingupinthelord.com/balancing-act/

Andrew Forrest February 1, 2016 - 5:11 pm

GREAT word. (I’m also struggling to write regularly.)

How to Use the Time Change to Get Up Early | Andrew Forrest November 5, 2016 - 7:45 am

[…] Greatness starts early in the morning.  Anyone can learn to get up early, and this weekend offers you the perfect opportunity.  Don’t miss it. […]

My One Word for 2017 | Andrew Forrest January 1, 2017 - 4:32 am