My One Word for 2017

by Andrew Forrest

As I’ve done for the past three New Year’s Days, today I’m choosing a one word theme to live into for the coming year.  I’ve made goals for 2017, too, but there’s something I like about the simplicity of choosing just one word to knit all my goals together.

My One Word for 2017

For 2017 I’m again choosing the same word I’ve chosen for the past three years.

My one word for 2017 is early.

I will:

• wake early
  • pray early
  • workout early
  • arrive early
  • get things done early
  • finish my sermon early
  • get to bed early

What about you?  What’s your one word for 2017?  Why?

P.S.  Fox and Hedgehog

The Philosopher Isaiah Berlin, drawing on a line from the Ancient Greek poet Achilocus, wrote a famous essay in 1953 entitled “The Hedgehog and the Fox.”  The basic idea is that the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.  Foxes have a variety of interests; hedgehogs have one stubborn idea.

In this space, I follow my interest wherever it takes me (like a fox) while always writing in the service of The One Big Thing (like a hedgehog).

What’s that One Big Thing?  You’ll have to read to find out.

Click here to subscribe and get my posts delivered straight to your inbox.

You May Also Like

7 comments

Kathleen January 1, 2017 - 8:18 am

I am going to do two words…neat and frugal….allowed? Hoping to keep my house, my car, etc neat. Good for me and my sanity, and good example for my boys. Not perfection, but neat.

Frugal…Andy Stanley sermon said there will always be tension…to want on one side and to owe on the other. I would rather want than owe in 2017!

Kathleen

Andrew Forrest January 1, 2017 - 8:21 am

I think neat is a great word. And so is frugal. Blessings!

George January 1, 2017 - 7:21 pm

“Honor”
Honor God’s will in my life by doing the things I know he’s asking me to do.
Honor my wife and kids by being present when not at work being creative with the time I do spend with them.
Honor my position at work…Lead by example.
Honor Munger by redoubling my efforts in the lot (I’ve sort of been phoning it in lately if I’m being honest).

Thanks for the post! It actually helped me see some continuity in my goals for BYE goals for 2017.

And, “Early” is always the way to go! #first15

Andrew Forrest January 2, 2017 - 9:31 am

Yeah, I’m think “early” will help me with my BYE goals.

Patty LaPrade January 1, 2017 - 8:26 pm

My word for 2016 was worthy, but I guess that’s more about what I needed internally. My word for 2017 will be giving. More about others and less about myself.

Andrew Forrest January 2, 2017 - 9:32 am

A beautiful word. Good luck!

Ed Wise January 3, 2017 - 11:04 am

I have a new word for each year. The old one isn’t forgotten, but built upon each year. The new word provides focus for what I am working on in the new year. For 2017 my word is ‘connect’.

Ed